Friday, September 2, 2016

Celebrate The Small Things - September 2, 2016



 


This week I received exciting news that my painting, Alien Abduction, sold! It was at the Banfill-Locke Center for the Arts gallery show called Art of Darkness: Inspired by the Paranormal. The show was publicized by Darkness on the Edge of Town radio show in Minnesota. The show ended last Saturday and I was feeling kind of down believing that my painting hadn’t sold. I didn’t see the email for 7 days and when I found it, the beginning was about how the unsold paintings would be sent back and that we would be billed for shipping. Further down, they listed the paintings that were sold and I was happy to see my painting on the list. I emailed the curator to thank her and she told me that my painting sold within the first 10 minutes of the gallery opening! Wow! I was blown away by that. It’s a great feeling to know that someone appreciates my work enough to buy it. I posted the news on Facebook along with a picture of the painting and have gotten a lot of compliments on it. My friends have been asking me if I’m working on another painting. This encourages me to do more paintings.

I finished reading a graphic novel called El Deafo and was happy that my youngest son wanted to read it, too. He took it to his room on his own and read it before going to sleep. It’s the first book of mine that he has shown interest in reading. I was surprised because the main character is a girl. Usually he reads Big Nate over and over again. I know he likes to read humor and dislikes reading scary books (unless I read them to him). With his interest in El Deafo, I discovered something new about my son. He’s interested in reading about kids in near-tragic or tragic situations, or where they misbehave and either suffer the consequences or get away with it. It’s doesn’t matter if the main character is a girl. A 6-year-old boy at the dojo saw me reading this El Deafo book and told me that he read it. It wasn’t something the teacher made him read either. He chose to read it. I was surprised because he’s sort of a rascal with at least 3 older mischievous brothers to influence him. I suppose he was interested in the book the same way my son is. It gives me much to think about for writing my own books.

My family and I, along with my mother-in-law, went to see Kubo in the theater. It was made by the creators of Paranorman and Coraline. I adore Coraline, so I expected to like Kubo. It was so inspiring to see a movie like this with its made-up legend. My husband loved it. He says that movies like Kubo made him want to be an animator when he was a kid (and he is one today). His mother also loved the movie and saw it twice.

I made another nice friend at the gym and we had a good conversation with the other girls in the locker room about spiritual motivational speakers and the supernatural. She told me a nice story about seeing her mother one day before her mother had passed away and her mother was glowing. She saw her mother’s aura and said that her mother was the most beautiful she had ever seen her. She became a believer in those things that day. The locker room has become our “watercooler” where we gather around and talk about these things. The other girls around might think we’re kooks, but I don’t care. Those other girls probably don’t know our gym is haunted. Hahaha!

Yes, I am long-winded, but I have one more thing to celebrate this week! I have been working on building a website for two weeks and finally finished it! Now I can send my query letters out to get an agent for my picture book. I was set to send a query letter out when I saw that they wanted a link to my portfolio. Well, I have blogs and a Flickr site where I post my random drawings, but I didn’t have a site that showcased my best work geared to find jobs. Some of these free web building sites were not easy. I signed up for Weebly, Jimdo, and Wix. For what I wanted to do, I found that Wix was the easiest to understand and build. I have to make a few minor changes, but I think it looks pretty good. My website is www.kimberlyrobello.wixsite.com/portfolio.


What are you celebrating?
Check out the blogs below for your reading pleasure and please visit our hosts' blogs:
Lexa Cain: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/
L.G. Keltner http://lgkeltner.blogspot.co.uk/
Tonja Drecker http://tonjadrecker.blogspot.com/
If you would like to join our blog hop, visit Lexa Cain's blog for info.

 1.

Lexa Cain2.Fiction and Film
3.Writing Off the Edge4.Kidbits
5.TheCyborgMom6.Thoughts and Ideas from Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
7.My Inner Geek8.Intentional Insights with S. Kelley Harrell
9.Constantine10.My Miracle Life
11.Writing, Reading, and the Pursuit of Dreams12.Shells Tales and Sails
13.Lara Lacombe14.TF Walsh
15.Life, Yoga and Other Adventures16.About myself, by myself
17.Suzanne Furness18.Elizabeth Seckman
19.Avalon20.Cherdo on the Flipside
21.My Baffling Brain22.Planet Kimberly
23.Shah Wharton24.Mere Joyce
25.Victorian Scribbles26.Tanya Miranda
27.God, Entertainment, & Annoying Things28.Ann - A Friend of Jesus 2013
29.Special Teaching At Pempi's Palace30.Square Pegs
31.Patricia's Place32.Yvonne Van Dalen
33.Anne Higa34.My Antimatter Life
35.Bouquet of Books36.Lightravellerkate
37.Curious As A Cathy38.Julie Flanders
39.As the Fates Would Have It40.Crazy Old Lady
41.In My Own Words42.Allison Bruning
43.Tamara Narayan, Author44.My Creatively Random Life
45.Yvonne Ventresca


7 comments:

  1. Huge congrats on selling your painting. I'd like to see it, but can't get the top pic to load (if that's it). But I visited your "Paintings" page and -- holy cow! -- you're an awesome artist! You have such a great style. I especially liked In Midnight Shadows and Cafe de Flore. You rock, girl! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on selling your painting! And wow, it sold so quickly. That's super! This is the second post I've read that has mentioned Kubo. Now I really have to check it out. Congrats on getting your website up and running! Good luck with your querying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see your painting too, but the image I'm getting is a blank white rectangle. Congrats on the quick sale. I'll have to check out El Deafo. I wish my kids would put down their iPads and read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting that you sold your painting. What a lovely thing that your talent is being appreciated. It's very good news your son is reading. So important for him to have adventures with books.
    Happy weekend. You're also to be lauded for learning so many languages. That would be a huge challenge for most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. that is amazing news.. Huge congrats. I can't see the top pic to see your painting, but I'm super excited for you. A huge achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you must be super pleased your painting sold so quickly, congratulations! Lots of nice things happening to celebrate. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on selling your painting! I would be over the moon with excitement (but maybe a little sad? It's hard to see our 'babies' leave.)

    That's great news about the site, and it sounds as though things are coming together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete